The Lawfare Institute—publisher of information and insight at the intersection of national security, law, and policy—seeks an energetic, creative, and motivated full-time Associate Editor for Social Media.
The Associate Editor for Social Media, who will report to and support the executive editor and managing editor, will lead Lawfare’s social media portfolio as well as support the editorial team in processing and preparing written articles for publication. Responsibilities of the role include:
- Maintaining and developing Lawfare’s Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Mastodon, and YouTube presences;
- Identifying and pursuing additional opportunities for social media engagement;
- Working with authors throughout the editing process, including by providing substantive and stylistic edits, to prepare articles for publication;
- Contributing to long- and short-term research projects, podcasts, and articles at the direction of the senior editorial staff;
- Assisting in website management, including publishing articles, posting relevant documents and livestreams, and controlling quality;
- Assisting in producing images, infographics, short videos, and other products to enrich content;
- Regularly tracking analytics relating to social media accounts, online publication, and Lawfare’s family of podcasts, including measuring audience engagement;
- Maintaining and managing Lawfare’s mailing lists;
- Managing Lawfare’s Patreon page and coordinating its patrons-only content;
- Contributing to public relations and other institutional communications;
- Other related duties as assigned by Lawfare management.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in a field related to communications, digital media, political science, government, journalism, or history); an aptitude for and/or interest in managing social media; and outstanding writing, analytical, and research skills. Candidates must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment, have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and be able to both take individual initiative and work collaboratively with colleagues and Lawfare contributors.
The strongest candidates will have demonstrated skill in managing social media, experience working with images and graphics, knowledge of media editing software, familiarity with legal issues or terminology, prior journalism experience, and/or a strong background or interest in national security or rule of law topics.
This is a hybrid position based in Washington, D.C. Work is to be performed at Lawfare’s office near Dupont Circle and remotely.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental care with premiums fully paid by Lawfare, flexible hours, 10 paid holidays per year, unlimited paid sick and pre-approved vacation leave, and 401(k) with Lawfare matching contribution. (Any failure to regularly perform job duties due to extended leave will be a factor in determining ongoing employment status.)
Lawfare is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a note to email@example.com with the subject line <AE/SMS: your name> containing a single document with (1) a cover letter of no more than two pages; (2) a resume that shows the experience and education requested above, including any publications or editorial experience; and (3) 2-3 references with, at least, email addresses. Please refrain from including any additional, unrequested materials.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The application period will close on February 15, 2023.